What to pack for Iceland in the winter

What to pack for Iceland in the winterBlue Lagoon, Iceland

What to pack for Iceland in the winter? Packing for any vacation is stressful enough as it is. Now you are packing for a winter vacation in Iceland. If you don’t live in colder climates this is going to be a lot for you, but don’t worry, that’s what I’m here for.

Iceland in the winter is not a fashion statement. Keeping yourself dry and warm is. You will not enjoy your time here if you don’t dress properly.

Base layers

When packing for Iceland in the winter, I will start off with base layers. I truly feel it is the most important out of everything you pack. Base layers are that layer of cloth between your skin and your outer clothing.

First, don’t just buy any base layer. There are so many brands out there that will say they are the best, their lying. You want to make sure you are getting a merino wool base. Here is why.

Base LayerIceland Packing – Base Layer
  • They don’t take on smell, you can wear it multiple days
  • It helps regulate body temperature
  • It pulls sweat from your body
  • It’s lightweight, so you can pack your heavy clothing
  • It’s not itchy

Just those reasons alone were enough for me to go out and buy some. You don’t need top of the line, super expensive pants and shirts. These ones here I got on Amazon and they kept me so warm, worth every penny.

Check out 5 days in Iceland in November

Boots
Winter BootsIceland packing – Winter Boots

Pack your boots. You will need to make sure you get proper winter walking boots. I will admit here I bought a pair of Helly Hansen boots and was not impressed with the grip. Yes they did keep my feet warm but I was doing a lot of dancing on the ice. My travel partner on this trip got and she loved them. I would suggest these over mine. It’s tough to spend lots of money on boots for a vacation if you are from warmer climates however, if you want to enjoy your vacation on your feet, this is a must.

Jacket
JacketIceland Packing – Winter Jacket

When packing for Iceland for winter you want to make sure you have a windproof and waterproof jacket. I got mine on amazon and although it was not flattering in the least, it did keep me dry and warm. This is also a jacket that will not break the bank.

Pants
Snow PantsIceland Packing – Snow pants

Another item of clothing you want to make sure is windproof and waterproof is your pants. I brought 2 pairs with me. One had a bib (covers your chest) and just your normal pants. Again I did not break the bank and was so satisfied with both pairs. I would suggest if you are just going from your car to the attraction to buy the regular pants. They will be much easier to get on and off. If you are planning on any glacier walks or hikes, I would go with the bib pants as they are much warmer and keeping your lower back warm is essential.

Socks
socksIceland Packing – Wool socks

Again we are back to merino wool. You want to make sure your socks are at least 70% merino wool. Happy feet make for a happy vacation.

Bathing Suit
Bathing SuitIceland Packing – Bathing suit

If you are planning to visit Blue Lagoon or any of the other hot springs in Iceland, and I would suggest you should. You will need to bring your bathing suit.

Hat and gloves

You need to keep you head and hands warm or this vacation will be miserable. Having a proper pair of gloves is a must. You want to make sure they deflect water. Here are the ones I got before I left and still use them back home (in Canada).

Crampons
cramponsIceland Packing – Crampons

What in the world are crampons??? Yes strange name, but you will want to pack these for your trip to Iceland in the winter. These funny little things will keep you upright on ice. They are ice cleats that you strap to the bottom of your boot. They were amazing for our ice cave tour. Now if you are doing this tour they do provide them for you. But if you are walking around town or visiting places and the ground is icy, these will be your best friend.

Backpack

If you plan on carrying your gear and camera equipment you will want a good backpack. This is great to have if you are going on tours. You will want to bring snacks or a light lunch with you as well as water.

Adapter

You will need to pack an adapter if you are not from Europe. This one here I got before I left. Although I didn’t read the instructions and blew the fuse with my hairdryer. I was still able to use the other plugs on it so turned out ok.

Reusable water bottle

The best thing about Iceland is the water. Now in Reykjavik we did find the water a little smelly at our hotel but you can drink the tap water here. No need to buy bottles of water, so save the planet. I was so disappointed in myself as I forgot mine in my car at home. I bought one small bottle and one big one and refilled them each day.

Toiletries

Of course like every vacation you go on you need to pack the essentials

  • Hair products
  • Shaving essentials
  • Hairbrush
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste
  • Body soap and lotions
Extras

Love photography? You will love Iceland in the winter for that. Make sure you pack your camera, chargers and tripod.



* This article was originally published here

Comments

Popular Posts